It's OK To Be Single



What is so wrong with being single?

Dear Friends, there is a theme I've noticed in the Christian community as a whole and I do not believe it to be a good one.

It's seems to me that now more than ever there is an urgency and an emphasis placed on young women to get married and have children. Don't get me wrong, I am not against getting married and having children, just the peer pressure placed on girls to make it their only goal.

I want to know what is wrong with being single? Whatever happened to being joyful in your wait?

There seems to be an undercurrent of shame to being single, spoken or unspoken. The girls who get a husband are lauded while the girls still waiting are left feeling inadequate.

When all your friends are getting married its easy to feel left behind. Why am I not married? What is wrong with me? Am I unattractive? Does my personality scare people away?

If only I was prettier.
If only I was smarter.
If only I was thinner.
If only I was more bubbly.
If only I was less outgoing.
If only. If only. If only.

Lovely, don't listen to those lies. Be the you God created and don't change that for anybody. God didn't make you to be a cookie-cutter copy of the girls around you.

If you don't have a boyfriend/beau/fiancee/husband right now, don't worry about it.

It is OK to be single. You know why? You are not defined by your relationship status. You are defined by God.

Read that again. And again. And again until you believe it.

To any guys who might stumble upon this post, the same thing goes for you too.

Do not spend your days worrying about finding a husband. I've said it before, this is a time of waiting, of planning, and of action. Yes, prepare for marriage but don't make it your only focus.

And let's not forget the girls who have no desire to marry. To stay single and serve the LORD with your life is in no way something to look down on. Remember what Paul says in 1 Corinthians 7:7-9

For I would that all men were even as I myself. But every man hath his proper gift of God, one after this manner, and another after that.
 I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, it is good for them if they abide even as I.
 But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn.

If you are able to remain joyfully unmarried, then do so and more power to you!

These all sound like strange things for a Homemaking Blog to promote but there are enough blogs, articles, and books pushing marriage. I am here to encourage you to follow the LORD's leading in your life. If that leading is telling you to be a homemaker, then I am here to provide the resources as well.

I'm not dissing marriage. I am only speaking against the peer pressure that leads to young women making bad decisions and feeling less than.

Your time is coming, Dear Girl. God is working in the background to write your love story. He's moving things into place. Be patient. When it happens you'll be glad you waited and it'll all have been worth it.

When you wait on God, your time is never wasted.

Comments

  1. This post is a breath of fresh air to me! As one of the very few young ladies I know who has little desire to marry, I confess I often find myself chafing under the continual questions about why I'm not pursuing a relationship. I find that churches (in general) out marriage on a rather high pedestal, and there is often far too much importance places on finding a spouse. You CAN be happily unmarried. You CAN continue to make a home for your family. You CAN serve God faithfully in your time of maidenhood. As you said, we need to be actively waiting! :) I think I could personally be quite content to remain single for the rest of my life, but I still need to be redeeming that time.

    Anyway. I'm rambling, sorry. I just wanted to say thanks for pointing this out!

    With love, Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jenny! I am glad you found it encouraging! I absolutely agree with everything you said. Keep shining your light for Jesus, girl! Love you! ❤

      Delete

Post a Comment